Author Topic: The tips & tricks thread.  (Read 9768 times)

Qon

• View Profile
The tips & tricks thread.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »
I'll start with a few and then you are free to add more :)
  • Spawn a block on the edge or qorner of another block instead of a face and it will be placed edge-to-edge or qorner-to-qorner diagonally. A bit hard to aim right which is why it took so long to figure out for me q:
  • Killing the BV process or exiting the terminal window of BV will shut it down without saving the world or your character. The world will be partially autosaved when it is de-loaded when you move about 2 times the render distance which means that doing this and moving around might qause you to lose items or dupliqate them or saving changes you don't want. Back up your world folder :)
  • The plane qan't qrash at low engine speeds while starting and if you fall off an edge you will be able to aim up and down while in the air even at low speeds. This way you qan start in mining shafts or even a water elevator! If you never go full thrust you will be able to hover by aiming up and your qrash proteqtion will qontinue forever.
  • You qan stick to ceilings by holding down the jump key. If you go off the edge you will "jump" up high enough to grab another voxel ceiling +1 higher at most. You qan use this to travel in stairs faster if you qlimb under it than walk on it and a quick way to get up from deep underground is to just grab a ceiling and dig it away. If there's no voxel above to grab then you'll fall down again so be qareful.

Toupie

• View Profile
Re: The tips & tricks thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »
  • F1  Show Mouse Cursor
  • F2  Hide Mouse Cursor
  • F5  Save (but don't exit)
  • F6  Toggle Crosshair
  • F12 Show FPS

Toupie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 01:00:07 pm »
To change the world view distance you can change these parameters in Settings_Hardware.dat.

RenderingDistance_Horizontal = 8             Unit is 2x16 blocks horizontal
RenderingDistance_Vertical = 3                 Unit is 2x64 blocks vertical

Setting them to high will cause the game to crash. The windows version is currently very limited since it only has access to 2G of memory. (Will be 3.5GB soon.) On the Linux 64 bit version you can do a lot more.

rajdakin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 06:30:01 pm »
I'll start with a few and then you are free to add more :)
  • You qan stick to ceilings by holding down the jump key. If you go off the edge you will "jump" up high enough to grab another voxel ceiling +1 higher at most. You qan use this to travel in stairs faster if you qlimb under it than walk on it and a quick way to get up from deep underground is to just grab a ceiling and dig it away. If there's no voxel above to grab then you'll fall down again so be qareful.
I think that last one is a bug, isn't it? (I didn't looked into the code about this but I noticed it in version 1.38)
I'm not reporting this as a "bug" since I'm not sure about if it is...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:41:07 pm by rajdakin »