Author Topic: Robot apparently silently fails to compile or edit  (Read 3476 times)

MUY_Belgium

• View Profile
Robot apparently silently fails to compile or edit
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:55:35 am »
Hello,

I have made a programmable robot, then tried out some programming.  I saw that files are created in the Script/Squirrel directory, but cannot see a editor in my full screen game, but indeed no error message too. I could not realise that there was a syntaxt error in the code : no local variable declaration (variable X is not defined).  What if functin Voxel_Step is missing?

All this put together, looks as if the Programmable Robot Silently fails to compile. :'(

I think that displaying an error on execution errors should give more confidence to the player, explaining what his/her :-[ error was...

Hopes it helps,

Enigma

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Robot apparently silently fails to compile or edit
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:02:16 am »
Hi, MUY_Belgium and Welcome to the Blackvoxel Forum  :)

Thanks for your return and comments.

Yes, it appears the manual should be improved about how to start with the programming robot. The Squirrel Robot should have an ingame status display like the assembly language one already have.

In the meantime, here are quick setup instructions :
  • In order to use the programmable robot, you should start the game in windowed mode because you'll have several programs alongside.
  • There is actually a compilation result and error output. These informations are displayed in the standard terminal. A terminal Windows is launched automatically along with the game when you use windows so you should see it when you are in Windowed mode. But if you use Blackvoxel with Gnu/Linux, you must launch Blackvoxel into a command line terminal in order to get it.
  • The choice was made to use an external editor(which can have complete features) rather to a simplified in-game one. When you click "edit", then an external editor is launched. The editor can be modified in the "Settings_Hardware.dat" file.
In the hope we have helped you :)
The Blackvoxel Team

MUY_Belgium

• View Profile
Re: Robot apparently silently fails to compile or edit
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:55 pm »
Thank you, indeed beter to know! 

I advanced a bit BlackVoxel robots programming, that's quite cool! 

:)