Author Topic: Newbie Guide?  (Read 10264 times)

Johnyknowhow

• View Profile
Newbie Guide?
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:27 am »
Ok, so I just got this game today. The RTFM told me to read the manual, I did, didn't really understand it much, and I can't figure out what to do really. Has someone made a guide for newbies (who have no idea what they are doing)?
I would really appreciate that since this game looks really cool. I just don't understand it.

Qon

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:45:10 pm »
There's no guide, I worked out everything by playing and reading the manual so if there is anything specific you have questions about please ask! :>

What to do? Explore the world and mine it for materials. When you have enough materials to complete some recipes then create new tools for yourself that will increase your ability to explore and mine. Eventually you will be able to produce mining robots, programmable computers and automated tools for creating more stuff!

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:30 pm »
Ok, so I just got this game today. The RTFM told me to read the manual, I did, didn't really understand it much, and I can't figure out what to do really. Has someone made a guide for newbies (who have no idea what they are doing)?
I would really appreciate that since this game looks really cool. I just don't understand it.

Hi Johnyknowhow,

Unfortunately, there isn't yet some guide for newbies. But it will come at some point !

Blackvoxel is an adventure game. Like Qon said, that's part of the goal to find what to do with what you found.

But, we understand it could be difficult for players who aren't familiar at all with this kind of game.

So, we'll think about creating some kind of tutorial for beginners in the future.

In the meantime, we can help you.

So, a quick tutorial :

At start, life is hard, you have nothing but your base machine and a basic slow tool for digging in the ground. As you'll progress, your life in this hostile world will get easier as automation will make for you the hard tasks.

First, you should collect some minerals in the ground of the blue zone. With the collected materials, you'll start creating machines. With machines, you'll create other machines, robots, automation, vehicles.

Machines and vehicles will help you to explore the world, make tasks and resolve problems.

Use the left mouse button to dig. Dig a staircase going down. Collect all the minerals you found (all blocks that are different from the blue one). Dig down until you found blackrock green and collected exactly 32 of them.

Next, you'll have to make a melting furnace :

Put your Base Machine on the ground, then put the 32 blackrock Green next to the base machine. Put them one by one, the machine will "eat" them. Finish by putting one Blackrock Blue. At this point, a new machine will get out : a melting furnace.

With the melting furnace, you'll make allloys. Follow the tables in the melting furnace page to get the right composition for the alloy you plan to make.

You'll notice some materials are too hard to be collected. For collecting these, you'll have to build first better and faster tools.

The first tool you'll have to build is the "Constructor/Destructor 2". For building it, you'll have to make bronze alloy in the melting furnace and make your new tool with the base machine following the table indicated in it's page.

Once your tool is built, open your inventory and place it at the top left slot in the "tools" section. It will replace your old one, allowing you to collect new materials, dig deeper.

One of the first goal you'll have to reach is making an Extraction Robot XR-1. Once done, it will dig and collect materials for you and your life will be much easier.

At the end of the tech tree, you'll build the Airplane that will help you exploring the world.

The Blackvoxel Team

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:42:30 pm by olive »

Johnyknowhow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 02:19:58 am »
How do I make a level 4 extractor? It's shown in one of the pictures, but no recipe. I've already got a level 2 and going for 3. Already have 3.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:18:45 am by Johnyknowhow »

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:17:53 am »
How do I make a level 4 extractor? It's shown in one of the pictures, but no recipe. I've already got a level 2 and going for 3. Already have 3.

Yes, you are right, there is 5 constructor/destructor tools.

But at this time, only 3 are included in the game. So there is no way to build the others.

That's because, at the game balance step, we decided that after 3 "hand tools" it's time to get the XR-1 Robot. Too much "hand mining" could become boring.

Other constructor/destructor could be added in the future, when new game parts will need new tools.

The Blackvoxel team

tintor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:03:37 am »
How deep is Blackrock Green? How do I find it?

d3x0r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:53:44 am »
How deep is Blackrock Green? How do I find it?
it's like 64-75 down... and another 64 down is orange.

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »
Yep, Green Blackrocks can be found at 64 blocks bellow surface, the Blackrock orange layer at 128 and the BlueSky at 192.

You can dig a staircase for underground exploration and extraction.

Remember you need to build Constructor/destructor N°2 for digging through Blackrock Orange and N°3 to get through the Bluesky ones.

Don't forget to collect all metal ores and carbon in the way.

One of your first goal should be building the Extraction Robot XR-1 and an Atomic Compressor : Once these elements are made, mining will be fully automatic.

The Blackvoxel Team.