Author Topic: More user friendliness  (Read 8442 times)

shadowwraith

• View Profile
More user friendliness
« on: May 26, 2014, 02:36:19 pm »
I've just started playing the game for a day or so and find the game needs a few touches to make it more user friendly and more engaging for casual gamers.

Things such as

In the inventory menu there could be popup text to tell you what the selected block/item/ore is, atm i have to constantly quit the game and goto the user manual online to find out what it is.

Also popup text to say what was added to the base machine/furnace etc, at the start of the game we don't have the capability to make sequencers and conveyor belts yet, so we have to go by memory on what was added.

A map would be handy also, i have found my self getting lost quite a few times, especially when going from blue, white (the area with the water) then to the green areas ( lava pits bordering the insane black area).

an in-game manual, trying to memorise ore sequences for the furnace can be quite difficult at times and having to quit the game then go online to view the manual is pretty annoying at times.

A storage box, where users can store items that will still be there if they die, also a way to retrieve items lost on death, it's quite disheartening to build up alot of ores and tools only to loose them all if you fall down a hole or get killed by those smiley faces.

just a few thoughts.

shadowwraith

• View Profile
Re: More user friendliness
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:03:38 pm »
ok, who's bright idea was it to add a key that sends voxels to kill you (F10 fear key), there's no way to cancel it, you have to start a new game again.  >:(

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:06:22 am »
I've just started playing the game for a day or so and find the game needs a few touches to make it more user friendly and more engaging for casual gamers.

Things such as

In the inventory menu there could be popup text to tell you what the selected block/item/ore is, atm i have to constantly quit the game and goto the user manual online to find out what it is.

Also popup text to say what was added to the base machine/furnace etc, at the start of the game we don't have the capability to make sequencers and conveyor belts yet, so we have to go by memory on what was added.

A map would be handy also, i have found my self getting lost quite a few times, especially when going from blue, white (the area with the water) then to the green areas ( lava pits bordering the insane black area).

an in-game manual, trying to memorise ore sequences for the furnace can be quite difficult at times and having to quit the game then go online to view the manual is pretty annoying at times.

A storage box, where users can store items that will still be there if they die, also a way to retrieve items lost on death, it's quite disheartening to build up alot of ores and tools only to loose them all if you fall down a hole or get killed by those smiley faces.

just a few thoughts.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

This is very useful for us to get report on how the game is perceived and what is missing, particularly at the first moment of the game. That will help us to decide about the right development priorities.

You will be glad to hear some of your suggestions are crossing ideas we planed to implement. Some might get on top of the stack.

But things are going their rate as we are a small team. (All help will be appreciated).

For the manual, we can suggest using windowed mode and switch to the manual without quitting the game. This can be achieved with "i" key or the F1 and F2 key.

About the storage box, there is one. That's the "Atomic Compressor".

The Blackvoel Team

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:30:18 am »
ok, who's bright idea was it to add a key that sends voxels to kill you (F10 fear key), there's no way to cancel it, you have to start a new game again. >:(

Very, very sorry about that.

That's a weird development idea we thought to add to the game some months ago : a wave of attacking bad voxels that would demand to defend your base against (and to make resistant materials...).

That might sound interesting. But, as this "feature" is slightly destroying, we concluded that this idea must be deeply thought about the right place and stage of the game for introducing it.

So, we decided to make a key for the community to test it...

But unfortunately, with time, we forgotten it...

If you save and reload the game, then hide under the ground deeply enough, all the bad voxels will dies at trying to reach you. Once all are dead, they shouldn’t come again unless you press the "Fear Key" again.

Sorry...

The Blackvoxel Team

Reini

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »
hey guys :)

what about adding a function that allows you to split blocks? so when you have a stack of 1000 blocks and you want to split them into 10x100 stacks its just clicking for minutes so far... or am i missing a key that allows you that?

love the game so far, keep up working on it! :)

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:34 pm »
hey guys :)

what about adding a function that allows you to split blocks? so when you have a stack of 1000 blocks and you want to split them into 10x100 stacks its just clicking for minutes so far... or am i missing a key that allows you that?

love the game so far, keep up working on it! :)

Welcome Reini,

We are glad to see you appreciate Blackvoxel  :)

Fortunately, there is a way to split the stacks:

Pick the stack to split with the left mouse button, then move your mouse to the destination while keeping left mouse pressed.

Presse right mouse button without releasing left mouse button.

When pressing the right mouse button, an item is transfered to the new stack.

By default, the amount is 1 item. But you can use the following modifier keys at the same time you click with right button to change the quantity:

-No keys : 1 item
-Shift : 10 items
-Control : 100 items;
-Alt : 1000 items.

You can press the right click button several times with different modifier keys as long as you keep the left mouse button pressed.

The Blackvoxel Team

Reini

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 05:31:16 pm »
ah ok, really cool function! thanks for the info :)
didnt find it in the controls-manual, so it would be nice to add it in future updates.

greetings
reini