Author Topic: Windows 64 bit or Large Address Aware  (Read 7414 times)

Toupie

• View Profile
Windows 64 bit or Large Address Aware
« on: October 25, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »
Could we please have a 64 bit windows exe, or at least a Large Address Aware Windows 32 bit exe. I would like to experiment with larger loaded world size.

That there is a 64 bit Ubuntu version doesn't help me since my machine running Ubuntu only has 2G of memory :(

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 64 bit or Large Address Aware
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »
Could we please have a 64 bit windows exe, or at least a Large Address Aware Windows 32 bit exe. I would like to experiment with larger loaded world size.

That there is a 64 bit Ubuntu version doesn't help me since my machine running Ubuntu only has 2G of memory :(

That's in to-do list and we are convinced these are important features.

Unfortunately, it will require much more work than just activating some flags on the compiler. So, I'm not sure we will do that soon nor for the upcoming stable Release.

Some elements to understand :

We don't use Microsoft compiler for the Windows version.

Even the Windows version of Blackvoxel is built entirely... on Linux with a rather complex build system.

The GCC port we use for Windows don't support 64 bit mode. So will have to build, evaluate and validate a complete new toolchain for supporting 64 bits.

Already tried to activate large address aware on actual toolchain without success. It seems the compiler option isn't supported. But will have to try some trick we found and continue digging that way. Also, we must ensure it won't make some problem (It should not... but who knows).

That said, if you want that feature now, there are on the web some utilities that can force activation of LAA mode by simply modifying the .exe file to set the LAA flag.

The Blackvoxel Team

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:44:42 am »
Good news. Finally managed to activate the LAA mode. So it will be in the next beta  :)

The Blackvoxel Team

Toupie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
Great. Thank you