Author Topic: More Vehicles  (Read 10726 times)

Toupie

• View Profile
More Vehicles
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »
Suggestions for more Vehicles.

Elevator. Goes up / down. Needs at least one voxel on one of it's side all the time. So it cant travel into space.

Car. Can only travel on flat ground. Maybe 2-3 times faster then walking.

Boat. Can only travel on water.

Train. Who doesn't like trains. Needs rail to travel on.

Qon

• View Profile
Re: More Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:30 pm »
A qar is a qonfirmed WIP :)

A high speed elevator would be nice. I guess I qould make a plane but it's kinda overkill for mineshaft travel and is a bit to qostly for those who have just begun.

Trains would also be nice but since they require a you to build a rail and are a bit static they need to be much cheaper. But I'm already planning a new sqript that builds a rail in front of your train so that you qan "fly" around endlessly with the train by having a qomputer that builds the rail in front of you as you go and optionally removes it behind you! I would really like that! The qomputer would have to be able to read keyboard input and/or view direction though.

The boat is kind of limited in it's usefulness since there isn't much water to travel in but if it's cheap then sure. That way you qould let the player try out a vehicle from the beginning. A small sample of what is possible to build in the game that makes the player wonder what else is possible in the game.

Toupie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:57 am »
It's really difficult to use a plane as an elevator considering the extremely long starting and landing area it needs.

But the plane isn't actually that costly at all to build. It's just that you need to have Aluminum.

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:20 am »
I haven't tried the plane yet, I want to make it with my auto faqtory. I'm not qrafting anything until it's done. I'll get it when I deserve it q:

Nothing is qostly when you have our amazing mining sqript :) I have aluminium for 10 planes or so I believe.

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:31:14 am »
As we said on Indiegogo, we had plans to add a Car and a Vertical Lift (or some kind of Vertical Vehicle).

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blackvoxel--4

For others vehicles, nothing is fixed but we think about some fun gameplay ideas like a rocket, a parachute, skis, some other kinds of aircraft. The idea is vehicles that would be fun to pilot. In fact, development time is the only limiting factor.

But the more interesting thing we have to speak about is here : we are working on a volumetric displacement system that we will use for doing volumetric vehicles that could be voxel-train, or a voxel-airship. Because these kinds of vehicle have no interest in moving only the player like the aircraft do(and the car will also do).

But with the new programmable robot functions, you'll can do yourself some kinds of moving voxel vehicles (even if it will miss some functions).

Further, we'll add some powerfull functions to the Squirell api to complete this : mass voxel moving(3D bloc voxel transfert) and some player physic interaction.  ;)

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 03:48:49 am »
Gaaaahh!! Awesome overload! Yes please ;) to everything you mentioned

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:03:05 am »
Gaaaahh!! Awesome overload! Yes please ;) to everything you mentioned

:)

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 04:32:41 am »
It's really difficult to use a plane as an elevator considering the extremely long starting and landing area it needs.
I finally made the plane beqause I just had to try it out and it\s awesome! Qan definitly be used to get out of mining shafts quickly. I qan take off from a 2x1 area easily (the trick is to fall) and I've landed on a 16x16 area. Hardqore training for skill landings in progress.

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:22 am »
I finally made the plane beqause I just had to try it out and it\s awesome! Qan definitly be used to get out of mining shafts quickly. I qan take off from a 2x1 area easily (the trick is to fall) and I've landed on a 16x16 area. Hardqore training for skill landings in progress.

We are glad to see you like the airplane. We tried to do it fun to pilot.

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:24 am »
Oh it's really fun! But it's hard to steer while flying straight up or straight down. It would be nice if it was able to move and rotate in 6 degrees of freedom to avoid gimbal lock. Maybe some HUD that tells you your pitch and roll. Normally I'm against all types of HUD since it breaks immersion but in a plane a HUD is the only place where you would find it IRL so it adds immersion there instead. That would be the lines in the middle, the "pitch ladder".
fighterhud.jpg.to