Author Topic: Qons gallery  (Read 19825 times)

Qon

• View Profile
Qons gallery
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »
4th iteration Menger sponge in progress. Uses 160 000 voxels when it's finished. Size 81x81x81
The first thing I'm building in BlackVoxel :)
Warming up with a simpel fraqtal, more qomplex ones qoming later.
(Qlick on the thumbnail and then the image for high quality)
3rd:

in progress:

I'll update this when it's finished... In about 12 h q:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:47:31 pm by Qon »

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Qons gallery
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:12:55 am »
Very good looking!
 8)

Blackvoxel will be a good tool for exploring 3D curves when we we'll add a "3D voxel place" drawing function. And maybe for a "programming mode" in the future with some access to our 3D drawing libraries used in the Blackvoxel engine (those that was used to make these giant procedural trees in realtime sector generation in the Blackwood forest).

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:05:52 am »
Well I said I would qome back and update it but
1) You qan't modify posts someone has responded too (which I think I should be able to...)
2) I'm qurrently on windows and that's a BAD os... It restarts now and then and it's not possible to prevent it! Lost another night of qomputing time.

So I lost my fraqtal. :'(

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:28 pm »
Blackvoxel will be a good tool for exploring 3D curves when we we'll add a "3D voxel place" drawing function. And maybe for a "programming mode" in the future with some access to our 3D drawing libraries used in the Blackvoxel engine (those that was used to make these giant procedural trees in realtime sector generation in the Blackwood forest).
I would LOVE that :D
Letting your qomputer spend a week on a volume of 300x300x300 by having a qomputer voxel go through the whole volume and placing each voxel manually has it's charm... but it's not really praqtical.
<3

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 11:13:23 pm »
Hello Qon,

Can you make more pictures about your factory?

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
Sure!
Really isn't much to show since it's all qode. Just a row of machines q:
Placed a "Blackrock Purple" where I would place the qomputer if it wasn't mining atm ;)

So I'll add a few more atomiq qompressors to be able to store all existing voxel types and that's probably the only visual change that I'm going to make for this faqtory. The minerals above are just to to make sure that ores won't accidentally get mixed up since those might not be picked up instantly.

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the picture!

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:56:09 am »
Well I said I would qome back and update it but
1) You qan't modify posts someone has responded too (which I think I should be able to...)
2) I'm qurrently on windows and that's a BAD os... It restarts now and then and it's not possible to prevent it! Lost another night of qomputing time.

So I lost my fraqtal.

Yes, it's annoying not being able to correct a post. Hum, changed some settings. Not sure it will fix the problem. Will try to look deeper.

Apologize for the lost of that beautiful fractal.

I think we'll add a function for triggering a world saving at the point you choose.

Maybe your Windows rebooted to apply an update.

Personally, I'm not a Windows OS fan. I don’t like the "mass market" logic where software decide what users must do and when they must do it.

Why not getting on Linux ?

Ubuntu 12.04-64 with Mate desktop (old Gnome 2) is working very well  ;)

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:27:53 am »
I will switch to GNU/Linux sometime.
Yes it was a windows update. I even knew it would restart beforehand but the "Please restart your qomputer" dialogue only has 10 min, 1h or 4h delay to choose from and I was going to sleep. There's no "NO! I'll decide when to restart" option and not even a "I need 12h or so, gotta sleep first, thanks".

Still qan't modify my posts. Keep digging :>

Tried to make a T-qube (I 3D-fied the 2D T-square fraqtal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Square_%28fractal%29) but I need to make the 8th~ iteration or something for it to look like a fraqtal so now it's just a mirrored mess. But that would require a volume of 512x512x512 and would take 10 years with a single qomputer voxel at the speed it is operating at. I need an army of qomputer voxels that are at least as fast as the XRZ mining bot to make that. Or access to your libs :)
The menger sponge is a bit more low res friendly q:
4th iteration, 32x32x32, in progress:

Qomplete:

http://irsandemosa.deviantart.com/art/Huge-6000x6000-T-Square-Fractal-282993463 11th iteration of the T-square someone posted. It would be 4096x4096x4096 in 3D and many times bigger than the render distance so it's not really feasible. And the link takes you to a safe sqaled down version of the image. The original is 6000x6000 which might qrash your browser q:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:30:02 am by Qon »

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:11:54 am »
Fortunately, with the new 3D placement functions we just added to the code, it will took much less time to make it. At the time, we have not limited these functions to one action per cycle, so it will be really faster. We might eventually add a limit in the future for that, but we'll keep a setting somewhere to override.

So, as the first problem might be resolved, let's look at the second one.

For the world render distance (and loading distance) problem there is some ways  :

(1) Render by parts. The advantage of this is that there will be virtually no limit.

(2) There is a way to change world loading limit and viewing distance. It can be changed in the configuration file (RenderingDistance_Horizontal & RenderingDistance_Vertical). One unit more will add 2x16 blocks(it's a radius) in horizontal and 2x64 blocks in vertical.

Unfortunately, you'll can't get really high in the Windows version as it will get out of memory and will crash. So it's not recommended to get higher than the standard settings(It may be nasty and appears to work... then crash after some time or when you move).  If you want to use higher settings now, the only safe way at this time is the the 64 bit Linux version.

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:44 am »
You've mentioned the PlaceVoxel(x,y,z) function several times but never PickVoxel(x,y,z) or Look(x,y,z). I've assumed that those qome with the package since they are qlosely related and are relying on each other to really beqome useful but it would be nice with a qonfirmation :>

When I get these qool things I'm going to make some awesome stuff :)
Do you know know how many voxels qan be placed/second? With these methods + access to the players position variables and viewing direqtion I qould make live generated and maybe even animated fraqtals :D

olive

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:48:36 pm »
You've mentioned the PlaceVoxel(x,y,z) function several times but never PickVoxel(x,y,z) or Look(x,y,z). I've assumed that those qome with the package since they are qlosely related and are relying on each other to really beqome useful but it would be nice with a qonfirmation :>

When I get these qool things I'm going to make some awesome stuff  :)
Do you know know how many voxels qan be placed/second? With these methods + access to the players position variables and viewing direqtion I qould make live generated and maybe even animated fraqtals :D

Don't worry, PickVoxel3D() and Look3D() are on the package ;)

Also fixed the problem with latest Gimp versions BMP format.

The Blackvoxel Team

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 02:48:36 am »

Just a proof of qoncept stainless steel faqtory that qools the alloys with water. It isn't built to be useful, just to prove that it works. To qomplete it the selective movers that are above the qonveyor belts (and under the steel in the 3 last piqtures) qould push the steel to the side instead with another set of qonveyor belts that moved the steel to a dematerializer or the water qould simly be applied at the end of the sequence. Or another solution...

I had to build my first qonveyor belts and stuff to make this q: I wasn't gonna do that until my auto faqtory was qomplete but some saqrifices has to be made to help the qommunity ;)

If you need more qlues how it works just ask and I'll show better sqreenshots and explain it better.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:52:55 am by Qon »

Toupie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:22 am »
Ok. So you sequence BlackRock Blues after the raw material to trigger another sequencer to send in the water?
I guess there are two parallel conveyer belts below the surface that both are 10 blocks long?

Nice Idea to use a Selective Mover before the Melting Furnace to send some stuff another way to start another sequencer. :)
And you take advantage off the fact that water and melted metal both fall, while the BlackRock Blues don't.

Qon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:34 pm »
I've improved the design so it uses less qonveyor belts and is more user and mass produqtion friendly but it's harder to portray in sqreenshots. I'll upload images when I get home.

In the sqreensots above:
There's only a single track below. The first water reaches the molten metal that is qlosest to the source first. It is then picked up by the selective mover above instantly and the water behind is free to flow to the next molten block, and so on.

And yes I use a blackrock as a signal and a selective mover as a material flow splitter so that I qan make sure that water is applied only after all the molten metal is mixed.

The new design (sqreenshots qoming later):
Instead of qollecting the molten metal on expensive qonveyor belts and selective movers I qollect it in a hole in the ground. The same thing with water in a different hole that is qonnected to the metal hole with a small 1 voxel passage that qonnects the 2 so that only the molten metal furthest down may qome in qontact with water. Both metal and water flows down without any need for special blocks so this is a better design. Once a block is qooled it is transported away from the hot molten metal pot with a selective mover. Once out of the pot it qan be qollected one by one by a dematerializer.

So I eliminated the need for 9 dematerializers and 9 qonveyor belts. (I still use qonveyor belts right now to qollect the finished steel beqause I don't have dematerializers but it's not necessary)
1 belt is used in the bottom of the metal pot to enable flow on a small piece of the ground that must be flat to make sure that only the molten metal in qontact with the seleqtive mover qan qome in qontact with water.

Using qonveyor belts to transport water seems to be somewhat unreliable? The old design worked every time I tested it but still...